Tips and Tools: Should you get a flu shot?
The vaccine is over 80% effective in preventing flu in healthy adults. It's given to anyone classified as high-risk, health workers, and anyone who wants to avoid the flu. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you think you should get a flu shot.
High-risk groups include:
- anyone aged 65 years or older
- people with chronic cardiovascular, pulmonary, or metabolic disorders (including diabetes)
- those with kidney disease, anemia, immunosuppression, or asthma
- residents of nursing homes
- children receiving long-term aspirin therapy who may be at risk of developing Reye's syndrome
- children 6 months or older with respiratory disorders.