Tips and Tools: Getting Better
Having a cold can make you miserable. Here are a few tips to help you feel better:
- Choose a cold remedy to fit your symptoms. Our symptom guide can help you find the right product.
- Get as much rest as possible. This will help your body fight the cold virus.
- Stay warm - keep your room comfortably warm, and make sure you are warmly dressed.
- Drink plenty of fluids. Try to drink 6 - 8 glasses of water, herbal tea, or fruit drinks per day. Avoid drinks with caffeine, because they can dehydrate you and may keep you from getting enough rest.
- Eat well. Healthy foods such as soups, fruits and vegetables will help build up your strength.
- Stay home if you can, especially during the first 1-2 days when the cold symptoms are at their worst.
- Avoid smoking and smoke-filled places.
- Wash your hands often to avoid passing on the cold virus to others, especially after coughing, sneezing, or blowing your nose.
A typical cold will go away by itself after about a week. Call your doctor if:
- The cold lasts longer than a week
- Your symptoms begin to get worse
- You develop a high fever, an earache, a toothache, or sinus pain
- You notice any other symptoms that worry you
Learn more about Cough and Flu