Tips and Tools: Preventing the spread of strep throat
These tips may help people to stay healthy in the presence of the streptococcus bacteria:
- Children with the illness should be taught to cover their nose and mouth if they cough.
- People with strep throat and those around them should wash their hands frequently.
- Children with strep throat shouldn't go to school until they've been on antibiotics for 24 hours.
- Anyone taking antibiotics should finish the prescription even if symptoms are gone.
- If you're taking antibiotics, consider replacing the "good" bacteria in your stomach. You can do this by eating yogurt containing live Lactobacillus acidophilus. Most pharmacies also sell capsules containing these helpful bacteria.